While our philosophy is the foundation of everything we do, the following goals describe what we need to do in order to support our philosophy in everyday practice.
- The learning environment will be unhurried, offering a wide range of meaningful learning experiences focusing on developing each child’s interest.
- Children will feel safe, secure and accepted.
- Children will develop and expand in areas of self-worth and social competence.
- Children will be given the opportunity to construct knowledge through repeated experiences involving people and materials.
- Children will be supported in terms of both their actual development and their potential.
- Children will develop responsibility for their immediate and personal environment.
- The content of the curriculum will be relevant, engaging and meaningful to the children and be developed in collaboration with the educator, the children and families.
- Curriculum objectives will respect each child’s individuality, and be realistic and attainable according to each child’s interest.
- Children will develop and expand their ability to express, represent, and understand thoughts, feelings and experiences of self and others.
- Children will develop and expand their ability to make decisions and solve problems.
- Children will be evaluated as they “authentically” engage in concrete, meaningful tasks that parallel the curriculum.
- Children will be provided with opportunities that develop and extend an awareness of sound health, safety and nutrition practices.
- Children will be provided with opportunities to develop appreciation and enjoyment for music, creative expressions, movement and different art forms.
- Preschool children will be provided with a range of opportunities that prepare them for the ‘school’ (Kindergarten) environment.